Fiverr is the world’s leading online marketplace to buy and sell products and services. As you might have guessed from the name, fiverr, the minimum cost to buy a service is $5. But one can add additional add ons to his offering and earn more money.
The items that are sold on the Fiverr platform are called Gigs. A gig could be just about any product or service. As a seller you offer a gig – which is like an offering to the customer that he can buy for $5. There are no stats available but majority (90-95% my guesstimate) of the Gigs sold on fiverr are some kind of services, while the rest are digital product such as an ebook.
How do you get paid on Fiverr?
When a seller successfully delivers a Gig and the customer accepts it, the seller get paid by fiverr after 15 days. There are multiple payment methods available on the fiverr platform that once can choose from:
- Direct online transfer to your bank account – … Awesome!
- Payoneer card – umm… What’s that?
- Paypal – Note that every time you initiate a paypal withdrawal it deducts a $1 fees.
Keep in mind to withdraw the money regularly. As there isn’t anything better than having the money in your account. I suggest a threshold of $50 but it also depends on how much money you are making.
How reliable is Fiverr?
The reason that Fiverr is such a popular platform is its reliability. The sellers get paid on time, every time. But at the same time there had been cases when a seller’s account got suspended and his balance disappeared overnight. It’s important to have a good relation with your customers, because not only they have the power to rate you lower but also to complain against you. And often, one severe complain is enough to wipe-off your good work and get your account closed.
Setting up a Fiverr Gig – Step by Step
Phase I: Signup
After you signup and login into your Fiverr account, head straight to the profile section. Follow the KISS principle to build a nice profile for yourself. Treat profile section as your fiverr resume to get the ‘fiverr job’. Make sure you have posted your best profile image – it could be something professional looking (but not uptight) or it could be something fun (but not casual) such as you having a good laughter or cycling in a beautiful landscape.
I suggest you to make sure your Fiverr Profile focuses on the below three points:
- Skills: In profile page showcase your skills, letting users know you possess the expertise for the Gigs you are offering. E.g. if your gig is in content writing you can mention some work from your job (if it is related), or any other past freelance work you have done to highlight your writing experience. Maybe you have written a short story? Or done a well researched article for a college? Just put it here.
- Qualification: You should also highlight your related qualification which will help the buyer make the decision to purchase from you. An example would be a content writer who has a journalism degree, or perhaps some relevant online certification.
- Achievements: Well, if you have achieved something significant for yourself or your employer don’t forget to mention it.
Phase II: Research
So, you have a profile done. Now, you are ready to set up your very first gig but unsure what to sell. Here’s the general ‘funda’, I suggest you offer something that you can do in minimum time without compromising the quality. If a Gig takes too much time to do, then it’s really not worth the effort. e.g. You are an expert in writing a sales copy but will you do it for $5? Neah! Not really. Brainstorm how will you use your expertise (write sales copy) to find something more feasible to do in $5
Also, while you maybe tempted to get into areas that sell more. I suggest, at-least initially you play to your strength – if you are a designer, start looking what you can offer – logo design, book cover design, WordPress design etc. If you are a designer, you can’t really do a copywriting Gig, can you?
At the same time be open to explore new arenas. e.g. if you are a content writer, be open to explore how you can use a particular software to create visiting card in under 20 minutes. Boom! Make money, in the end that’s what you are looking for, right?
Phase III: Create the Gig
A typical Gig has several elements, title, body, pictures, pricing etc. Creating a fiverr Gig is a multistep process which I have listed below for an easy understanding:
Step 1. Craft the Perfect Gig Title
The fiverr Gig titles looks like a typical fill in the blanks – “I will _____ for $5”. Now, it’s upto you what do you want to do for a customer for $5. Use short Gig titles as short titles as known to rank better.
Also, use an adjective to stand out. e.g. if you offering to write an article for web, can you guess which one of these will stand out?
- I will write an article for you, Or
- I will write an seo article for you, Or
- I will write a keyword optimized seo article for you
Third one, right? Of-course you can further optimize the title and trim it to look like this:
I will write keyword optimized seo article
Note that how I’ve removed ‘a’ and ‘for you’ to make it crisp and clear. Nobody is judging you for your grammar skills when it comes to Fiverr titles. You can further improve the above title by capitalizing the word seo:
I will write keyword optimized SEO article
Remember that fiverr allows only one word in the title to be capitalized, so make the most of it by highlighting what you think is a key differentiator in your gig title.
Tip: Fiverr allows you to add upto 20 Gigs, so take advantage and add as many as you can. If you have run out of ideas, you can probably add some variations to your existing Gig and create a new one.
Adding Tags and Category
Choose the apporpriate ‘niche’ or category your Gig comes under. Tags are one of the direct way which Fiverr uses to index your Gig. Use precision to use the right keywords that would help the customers find your gig. You should also use the same/ similar keyword in your description and if possible in your title as well.
STEP 2. Pricing with Fiverr Packages
This is the most confusing of the steps of all. Specially so because of the recent changes in Fiverr. If you are you using Fiverr for the first time I recommend to create only the Basic Package. The other two packages, Standard and Premium allows you to up sell and help you earn much more than $5. The real trick to make money on Fiverr is the extra package. Understand Gig extra packages as toppings on pizza, the pizza i.e. the basic Gig offering (Basic Package) remains the same but the restaurants make extra money by offering the ‘add-ons’ i.e. the extras (Standard and Premium).
The best way to leverage extras is by offering very basic service for $5 and then charge more for the complete service. e.g. If you are a logo designer you can charge $5 for a logo with one revision but in your extras you can offer say three revisions for extra $10, and/or offer a psd of the logo for say $25 and so on. You got the drift?
Gig Delivery Time
This is one of the most critical aspect of your Gig. You need to understand that no matter what you should deliver your Gig in time. Fiverr itself says that delayed delivery can directly result in reduced buyer activity. And not to mention late deliveries can lead to unhappy customers and result in negative reviews. It’s absolutely important that you stick to the timeline that you promise to your customer.
Decide how much time you want to take for delivery. You don’t want to make your buyer wait for too long as this might turn them off from your Gig but at the same time you don’t want to put yourself into an uncomfortable position by promising an unrealistic estimate. So, take a middle ground, keep some cushion for uncertain situations, and choose the delivery time wisely!
STEP 3. Writing a Gig description that helps you sell
From a point of view of a seller Gig description serves three prime purposes and you should phrase it such that it covers all the below points:
- Establishing what you are offering to the customer.
- Pitching Gig extras – this is where the real money is!
- Pitching your other related Gig.
- FSO – or as I call it Fiverr Search Optimization.
Your gig description should adhere to the following minimum standard:
- Communicate clearly.
- Grammatically accurate.
- Short description: Keep the description short, crisp and to the point. People have shorter attention span and too much text could turn a potential buyer away.
Use the following tools to further optimize your Gig description:
- Bold, Underscores, Colored highlights and Bullet points: Fiverr allows rich text editing in Gig description take full advantage of it. But at the same time do not go overboard and make it gaudy. Keep the formatting uniform and highlight only the important points in your description.
- Break your description into shorter paragraphs: As a rule of thumb limit your paragraph length to a maximum of four lines.
Expert Tip: Since your Gig is brand new, you can mention in the description that even though you are new to the fiverr you are well versed/equipped with the skill/service you are provided/ needed for the gig. If you have uploaded some pictures/ screenshots of your portfolio, you can politely remind the customer to check them. It’s a very simple statement but helps in boosting the customer’s confidence in you.
Learn from successful sellers in your area. Check what titles and what description bestselling gigs in your niche have, and pick and choose what you like, customize it and replicate it in your Gig.
Step 4. Instruction for Buyers
If you Gig requires certain inputs from the customer, this is the place you request for that information. e.g. if you are creating a video to promote a customer’s product you might require the exact script from the customer.
Fiverr pro tip: Since this section act as an automatic reply as soon as a buyer purchases your gig, you can also use this section to ‘thank your customers’ for the order and subtly point them toward an extra.
STEP 5. Upload Images to Gig
Primary gig image: The primary image is what would be displayed in the Gig’s listing in Fiverr. Needless to say having a professional, attractive image works far better. Spend some time creating the best image. Make use of online tools such as Canva. In Canva select an existing template, and change the background image by uploading your own. Edit the foreground text and finalize the image before downloading it on your computer.
Portfolio images: Portfolio images are used to showcase your past work. Use it to make an impression on your potential buyers.
Upload a Video: Again this is an optional requirement but as Fiverr itself says, if your Gig has a video it increases the sales by a whopping 220%.
STEP 6. Publish Your Gig. Yay!
The hard work is already done, now just hit that green button that says publish and viola! Congratulations, you are a seller now.
STEP 7. Share your gig
When your Gig is complete Fiverr provides you with a shortened url that you can share on social media sites. Copy paste this url and save it in a file with the short title of your Gig. You can also copy this url later from your Gig page, but doing this now will save you time.
Phase IV: Establish a process
Focus on cutting your effort and delievery time, efficiency is the key to increase your sales. If executing your gig follows multiple steps, write them down on paper (or digital paper) and zero-in on how you are going to execute every step. Also, note down the time it would take you to perform each step and add them up to find the time you would take to deliver the Gig. e.g. if you are going to design an ebook cover, where will you find the image for the ebook, which software online or offline will you use to edit the image? Will you use pre-made ebook template? Or you will design on your own? What about fonts? There are tonnes of default fonts on any given editing platform, do you know exactly which ones you will use? And so on, and so forth.
Write down the exact steps you would follow. Use excel or Google docs to keep track of your Fiverr orders.
Getting Traffic On Fiverr Gig
If you are not getting traffic on your gig, you are not going to make any sale, as plain and simple as that. To let fiverr help you with the Gig ranking, you need to help fiverr first. The following points might seem basic but they work!
- Reviews: Greater the no. of positive reviews on your Gig, better it is.
- Taking time off: If you are not available in between, don’t pause your gig. Instead, consider extending the Gig delivery time.
- Fiverr request section: Go and pitch your gig to people who are posting in the request area.
- Install the app and be online: Yup, being online increase your Gig rank.
- Reply to messages quickly: Another important factor is to give a prompt response.
- Videos: The fiverr says, Gig videos are the best thing for sellers to showcase their work.
- Share on social media: Post on fb groups, or in forum signatures.
Here’s a collection of my insider tips that one could only get to know with experience on fiverr:
- Share your gig on review replies.
- If you are not available in between, don’t pause your gig. Instead, consider extending the Gig delivery time.
- Never create two fiverr profiles (why would you?) on the same IP/ browser. According to Fiverr TOS sellers are not allowed to have multiple accounts, please follow the rule seriously as fiverr is known to shutdown profiles without any warning. All you money that you might have earned so far would be gone too.
- Continuously review and update your profile.
- Reply to negative reviews in a positive way.
- A/B Testing – to understand what works best, use different titles, vary gigs slightly.
- New gigs are pushed to the top – because Fiverr wants you to make money, so that it can make even more money. So, create new Gigs (variations of existing ones) every so other.
- Fast Delivery – the money comes to you faster, also affects FSO.
- Be online 24×7 – How do you do that? Simply install the android/iOs app and keep it running.
Seoclerk is one the major competitor but one look at that site and you would perhaps not visit it again. Don’t beleive me? Try yourself.
Fiverr is the best thing happened to the internet for the people who wanted to make money online. It’s a highly reliable platform which creates a win-win deal for both the customers and the sellers.
To your success,
– Vidyut Rautela.